WestCoastCachers.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WestCoastCachers.com

Geocaching & Exploring Forum

+6
clrl
Laura612
Red Ryder
HaZzMaTt
pacholik
Admin
10 posters

Paperless Caching

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Paperless Caching Empty Paperless Caching

Post by Admin Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 pm

Tell us the type of GPS'er you use to cache and how you use them more efficiently to go paperless.
    pacholik
    pacholik
    Admin

Paperless Caching Empty Re: Paperless Caching

Post by pacholik Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:00 pm

I use cacheberry for my blackberry. No more paper. Also I use a macro in GSAK to load a gpx file on to my Garmin Nuvi. I have the whole cache page with hints with me as a backup.

www.cacheberry.com
    www.gsak.net
    http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html
    HaZzMaTt
    HaZzMaTt

Post by HaZzMaTt Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:48 am

is there an IPhone app out there scratch
    Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 pm

I use GSAK along with cachemate to download into my Palm Tungsten PDA. Going back to printing out the cache page would be hard to do.
    Laura612

Post by Laura612 Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 am

HaZzMaTt wrote:is there an IPhone app out there scratch

Of course,Very Happy I have it on my 1st Generation iPhone... I can't use the gps function on it (like the 3G's can), but its helped me out a few times to look up nearby caches that I don't have in my nuvi or colorado.
    clrl
    clrl

Post by clrl Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 am

I use my iPhone with these three application for geocaching:
    iGeoCacher - great for paperless, great support, has GPS but iPhone GPS is not as good as a regular GPS. New version later in the year may allow to use a Bluetooth GPS.
    GCBuddy - great for multi/mystery caches to calculate and record mid points. Works together with iGeoCacher.
    Geocaching - good to download new or local caches that you don't have in your paperless upload.
    I download weekly queries to GSAK, upload the files to my site and then to iGeoCacher. Very fast.
    My GPS is a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and a Garmin GPSmap 60CS. I use a PDA with a Holux Bluethoot GPS for Wherigo caches.
    Check out a free iPhone application called GPS Mission where you can make your own games.
    lovesreward

Post by lovesreward Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:14 am

I've never had a printer, so no paper for me! When my GPS actually downloaded pocket queries, I would use that and only that. Now I cache mostly with esquimaux, and with his blackberry, we have the world at our fingertips. I find that I have become too lazy or reliant on his new toy - I miss walking around in circles with only my GPS and usually no hint! *sigh* the good ol' days!
    WestwardHo
    WestwardHo

Post by WestwardHo Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 am

lovesreward wrote:I've never had a printer, so no paper for me! When my GPS actually downloaded pocket queries, I would use that and only that. Now I cache mostly with esquimaux, and with his blackberry, we have the world at our fingertips. I find that I have become too lazy or reliant on his new toy - I miss walking around in circles with only my GPS and usually no hint! *sigh* the good ol' days!
    I think that's how I met you... Doug and I were caching (I don't remember where) and we saw a girl walking around in circles. We both laughed and said "Must be a geocacher!".
    lovesreward

Post by lovesreward Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:10 am

WestwardHo wrote:
    lovesreward wrote:I've never had a printer, so no paper for me! When my GPS actually downloaded pocket queries, I would use that and only that. Now I cache mostly with esquimaux, and with his blackberry, we have the world at our fingertips. I find that I have become too lazy or reliant on his new toy - I miss walking around in circles with only my GPS and usually no hint! *sigh* the good ol' days!
    I think that's how I met you... Doug and I were caching (I don't remember where) and we saw a girl walking around in circles. We both laughed and said "Must be a geocacher!".

I think that was the day that my sister Joy and I were out in the Glendora-ish area caching and we saw you at first near some wash thing - when we first realized you were WestwardHo we got so excited because you looked EXACTLY like what we pictured in our minds for your name! Later that day while Joy and I were along one of the main drags looking for a cache along a wall of ivy/vines, you guys pulled over in your vehicle and said, "It's in there! Stick your hand in!" Which at first spooked us, because Joy had announced, "Um, someone is pulling over..." Heehee. I remember one of you holding a full sized map on your lap (whoever was not driving)and I think you had mapped out your route. Good memories indeed!

I love you
    WestwardHo
    WestwardHo

Post by WestwardHo Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:21 pm

WOW, you have a great memory! We're talking like 5 or 6 years ago!
    Doug was and still is a stickler for having an exact and detailed route set up!
    study king
    KnC
    KnC

Paperless Caching Empty Paper... what's that?

Post by KnC Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 am

2 Rino 120s, 2 Treo 680s with BlueTooth Pucks, a TomTom XL one, and a Kenwood DNX-8120 with Garmin Navigation.

We use TomTom or DNX-8120 with the Appropriate GSAK macro to upload to the device with info, depending on which cachemobile we are in. Wink
    Treo 680s get Cachemate, and Plucker files with the cache pages from GSAK. Cool
    Rinos get waypoints from GSAK for Bicycle Trails, and locating other cachers. (We are looking to upgrade to the 530s since our 120s are a little beat up from going over the handlebars. Shocked )

Never have really used paper. Wasn't sure if they made it anymore? Neutral
    JJG10101
    JJG10101

Post by JJG10101 Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:52 am

I went paperless about a year ago with the purchase of a Garmin Colorado 400t. Here's how it works.

1. Create a pocket query on gc.com, and wait for the e-mail to arrive.
    2. Connect the Colorado to your PC.
    3. Open the e-mail, and copy the PQ (or any .gpx file) to the Colorado. This takes, oh, about 15 seconds or so.
    4. Disconnect the Colorado.

I haven't timed it, but the entire process might take a minute, maybe less if you're speedy. Bang, zoom, done. The Colorado (and Oregon units) display description, difficulty, terrain, hints, previous logs, and the like. Software upgrades keep coming, with 2.95 just out this week.

Yep, I'm a Colorado fan. Cool Very Happy Cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:55 pm