WestCoastCachers.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WestCoastCachers.com

Geocaching & Exploring Forum

3 posters

Palm Help Needed

Losel 2
    Losel 2

Palm Help Needed Empty Palm Help Needed

Post by Losel 2 Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:07 am

I had to buy another Palm since I kind'a squashed my old one between me and a huge boulder I was climbing on and cracked the screen. I have been pulling my hair out for the last couple of hours trying to get the same display on my new Palm as I have on the old one. My old Zire 72, has both the name of the cache and the waypoint. Example:
    Keller Peak Cache...(GCXCCQ) but my new Tungsten E2 only displays: Keller Peak Cache & Views b....without any waypoint info. I am able to switch to either the waypoint or the name but not BOTH as shown in my first example.

I load my Cachemate from GSAK and I have checked all my settings to make sure both the waypoint and the name are sent to Cachemate and that is proven by the fact that I can switch between them but can't show them both together at one time. There is a switch located on the bottom right hand side of the display of the Palm that you can highlight either the 'Name' or 'Wpt'. For my Zire 72 that shows both, it will place the selected first. If I select 'Name' it will show the name first then the waypoint. If 'Wpt' is selected, then the waypoint is first with the name following. On the Tungsten E2, if 'Name' is selected, only the name shows and if 'Wpt', only the waypoint is shown.

Can anyone please tell me how I can get both of these to show up like on my old Palm???? I know it can be done since I am looking at it right here in front of me, but I just can't figure it out.
    rfo
    rfo

Palm Help Needed Empty Re: Palm Help Needed

Post by rfo Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:10 am

I have the E2 and Cachemate but I don't know how to solve your problem exactly. Let me mess around with it and I'll get back to you. Maybe shoot an email to the software author?
    Losel 2
    Losel 2

Post by Losel 2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:38 pm

As last resort, from trying to find information from my fellow cachers, was to go to the source which is Brian Smith who wrote 'Cachemate' to find out what I was doing wrong. With just one statement from him as to just one setting, got the results I was wanting. Now I can start up caching again because without my Palm, I just couldn't begin to printout all the cache pages again. Paperless is the only way to go for this sport.

If anyone is interested in these settings, here they are:

First settings for GSAK 'Export Cachemate PDB File', Cachemate Waypoint (Code/Smart Name): %code. CacheMate Name: %name by %By (%Dif/%Ter).

Settings in Cachemate Palm, Cachemate, Options, List Options, Extra info: Waypoint, and I have all boxes checked EXCEPT 'Display waypoint as name' and 'When sorted by waypoint.' These options will display both the name of the caches and their waypoints. Depending on how the 'Sort By: Name/Wpt' switch is selected, that selection will show up first as displayed, then the other behind it.

Many thanks to Brian Smith (writer of Cachemate) for showing me how to make this work. Today I'm a happy fella.cheers

pacholik
    pacholik
    Admin

Post by pacholik Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:59 pm

I just pulled my palm out and checked the settings. Yep I have the extra info set for waypoint. I use cacheberry so I have not used cachemate for a long time. Also Tech questions should be asked in the tech section and not the grapevine section.
    Losel 2
    Losel 2

Post by Losel 2 Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Sorry about that. Can you as an admin move the tread over to the Tech Section? Thanks.
    rfo
    rfo

Post by rfo Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:54 am

Wow cool info. Will have to try that with my Cachemate which I really haven't used to its full potential. Ever messed around with polygons or whatever they're called? I like the ability to rename long cache name strings to make searching easier. For example...the Fountains Are Cool Series down here in the OC are labeled "FAC."

By the way I'm going to try and hit the Trackables Waystation on my way to IE Cache Bash.
    pacholik
    pacholik
    Admin

Post by pacholik Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Here is where you add the conversion names, like the FAC=Fountains are cool.

Palm Help Needed Gsaksmart

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 9:56 am