WestCoastCachers.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WestCoastCachers.com

Geocaching & Exploring Forum

4 posters

Lasts 8 Times Longer

Losel 2
    Losel 2

Lasts 8 Times Longer Empty Lasts 8 Times Longer

Post by Losel 2 Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm

I now have a major gripe. Back in September of 2003, I purchased from Costco an 8-pack of Compact Fluorescent Bulbs. This was done to be conscious of saving money in operational costs, lasting longer, and trying to do better for the environment. Since purchasing these bulbs, I have found out that they are only made in China and may be due to the mercury content. Environmental problems with manufacturing perhaps? Not good to make them here due to bad stuff, but okay for some other country to take the risks and we will use them and push for their usage. Even the government is pushing the use of these bulbs. There have been give a ways by local governments, free for the taking.

Since I still have the original packaging for these bulbs, it states, “LASTS UP TO 7 YEARS,” “LASTS 8 TIMES LONGER, (than a standard 60 watt 1000 hour bulb),” and “SAVE $45 per bulb in energy costs – as compared to using a 60 watt bulb at 12 cents per KWH.” Oh, these are 60-watt replacement compact fluorescent bulbs by the way.

I didn’t need to replace any bulbs with these new ones right away but wanted them on hand when the next regular bulb went south. I kept the bad compact bulbs and was not pleased as to the length of time they lasted in service. So I put on the installed date and the date it failed. I knew these new bulbs were not as efficient as advertised but was blown away to find out how long these actually lasted. One only has the date it failed of 10/18007, but two others show that these bulbs are crap. Installed: 3/20/2005, died 5/23/2007= 2 years, 2 months. Installed: 5/23/2007, died 5/18/2009= lasted just under 2 years! I know that light bulbs have a life expectancy a certain amount of usage. I don’t leave lights on if not actually using them, so these bulbs take a beating on and off in our living room, and bathroom usage mostly. Now quite the savings expected since these bulbs do cost more to begin with and are not lasting longer. In fact, I believe they aren’t lasting as long as a regular bulb. So just for kicks, the next time you install one of these compact bulbs, write on the side the date installed and actually see how long it lasts. You to may be surprised.

I was just curious if any of you all have this same problem as me and think these compact bulbs are worth the cost and predicted life expectancy? I know I will not buy anymore of these bulbs until they stop making the regular ones, and I heard where they are planning to discontinue making them. Just another thing to rely on a foreign country to provide us with.

So what is it, having problems with how long they actually work, cost to much compared to standard bulbs, or love them and think they are the best things going for us cost wise? Your thoughts appreciated.
    WestwardHo
    WestwardHo

Lasts 8 Times Longer Empty Other Smilie issues

Post by WestwardHo Mon May 18, 2009 2:25 pm

You know what's been bothering me? This smilie: rip isn't even on the smilie list as on option, yet whenever I (or you) type in anything with the letters r i p (consecutively) this: rip pops up!

But as for your gr i pe, Smiley Very Happy, I know about two years ago, I believe it was the city of La Habra sent around a crew to replace ALL the light bulbs in the LH businesses. So the trophy shop is fitted with those new fangled jobbies. I'm not positive, but I don't think we've had to replace any of them. But then again we probably wouldn't have the same gr i pe because they were FREE!
    Got_4by4

Lasts 8 Times Longer Empty Re: Lasts 8 Times Longer

Post by Got_4by4 Sat May 23, 2009 11:27 am

WestwardHo wrote:You know what's been bothering me? This smilie: rip isn't even on the smilie list as on option, yet whenever I (or you) type in anything with the letters r i p (consecutively) this: rip pops up!

Must be one of those 'Blonde' things. But I have no gripes with that.
    HaZzMaTt
    HaZzMaTt

Post by HaZzMaTt Sat May 23, 2009 12:45 pm

I love rip e fruit
    WestwardHo
    WestwardHo

Post by WestwardHo Sat May 23, 2009 5:59 pm

rip

Sponsored content